During my time as a backpacker I have come to realise and learn a few things and have also learnt some things from other backpackers that we have met along the way. I’ve created this page as a bit of fun and for any fellow backpackers out there please feel free to add to the list in the comments!!
As a Backpacker…….
- Personal hygiene isn’t a big issue anymore, you start to embrace your natural fragrance and hopefully people around you do too…
- Clean underwear is never a problem again when you wear a dirty pair for the first time
- You get creative with what’s around you…
- You learn to survive on the bare minimum which I like to call my quick weight loss plan!
- You always have to laugh and look on the bright side of things, otherwise it’s actually pretty shit
- You feel like a chameleon, but you generally look like an idiot with a bag twice your size and 4 other smaller bags hanging off you
- You soon realise what is valuable and what isn’t. My big backpack isn’t, in fact whenever I put it down I actually hope someone takes it so I won’t have to lug it around anymore. In all seriousness though, I would actually like to see someone try and steal it, that in itself would provide hours of amusement watching some poor person trying to run away with 25kgs of crap – go for it mate!
- You learn to run on no sleep
- You drink too much
- You are constantly broke
- You get over taking photos of yourself – there are only so many poses you can do and only so many “picture perfect” European streets
- You start to accumulate braclets, not sure why but it seems to be the thing to do…
- Laundry is NEVER done while travelling
- You can never have too much gelato or pasta bowls
- You realise that steak is never as good as back home
- The “must see” sights that everyone tells you about are seldom as good as a few cheap bottles of wine shared with people you met a few hours ago
- You learn to sleep anywhere and everywhere
- You can’t sleep without earplugs and an eyemask…